Fri, Mar 24|
The Crowne Plaza Hotel in Warwick, RI
Integrating Occupational Therapy into Mental Health Practice with Children and Adolescents
Effective Strategies for Regulation! by Vanessa Cubellis, LMHC and Sarina Ussach MOT, OTR/L
Time & Location
Mar 24, 2023, 8:30 AM – 12:00 PM
The Crowne Plaza Hotel in Warwick, RI, 801 Greenwich Ave, Warwick, RI 02886, USA
About the Event
Registration is now closed - we will see you next time!
Presenters: Vanessa Cubellis, LMHC and Sarina Ussach MOT, OTR/L
Description: This training will explore self-regulation and attentional difficulties in children and adolescents by means of relating sensory information and mental health issues. Children who struggle with integrating sensory information often present with attentional, emotional, and behavioral difficulties. This presentation will define the role of occupational therapy and its use within mental health practice, provide an overview of the biological underpinnings of dysregulation, and provide sensory interventions as a tool for managing impulse control, attentional, sensory processing, autism spectrum, trauma, and anxiety disorders.
By the end of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Understand the role of occupational therapy in working with children and adolescents.
- Improve understanding of the biological underpinnings of the sensory integration system to guide treatment.
- Learn how to apply interventions used by occupational therapists to help children and adolescents better regulate their emotions and behaviors and increase attention.
About the Presenters:
Vanessa Cubellis is a Licensed Mental Health Counselor who specializes in anxiety and trauma work with young children and their families. Vanessa is certified to deliver the following evidence-based and evidence-informed models of care: Trauma Systems Therapy, The Seven Challenges, and Brief Challenges substance use therapies for adolescents, The Incredible Years education program, Youth Mental Health First Aid, and PeaceLove expressive arts workshops. Furthermore, Vanessa has presented at and attended numerous trainings on early childhood mental health disorders, mindfulness, and play therapy treatments. Vanessa practices privately in addition to her work at a local pediatric practice and currently serves as a board member for the Rhode Island Mental Health Counselors Association (RIMHCA).
Sarina Ussach works as a licensed and registered Occupational Therapist in Rhode Island and has over 15 years of experience in the field. She specializes in addressing sensory processing difficulties in children with diagnoses’ including Autism Spectrum Disorders, ADHD, Trauma, Anxiety, and Developmental, Intellectual, and Physical Disabilities. Furthermore, Sarina has completed numerous trainings on how to identify and help children who are under or over-responsive to internal and external stimuli by providing caregivers with the tools they need to help their child succeed in various settings. Due to the overlap in treating similar disorders, Sarina has extensive experience partnering with mental health providers in the community. She currently owns her own practice, Strength On My Side, Inc where she provides consultation and therapy in partnership with several Early Intervention and Home Based Therapy Programs throughout the state.
- Advanced Registration is REQUIRED - this event will be limited to 75 registrants. $45 for RIMHCA members, $65 for non-members
- RIMHCA Membership must be up-to-date - please contact Ashley@RIMHCA.org with any questions about your membership status!
- 3 CEUs will be offered for LMHCs, 3 CEs are approved for LICSWs. Registrants will need to attend the entire presentation and submit an evaluation in order to receive their CEUs.
- No refunds will be provided after Wednesday, March 15th. Refunds will incur a $2 processing fee.
- RIMHCA Seminars will follow state guidelines on COVID-19 according to transmission rates. We will send an update if needed if masks become required.
- If you are registering on behalf of someone else, please fill in THEIR name and email address at the top of the form, and then follow up with your payment information below.
Buffet Breakfast & Registration
3 Hour Presentation
- Ticket type
Integrating OT into Practice
Integrating Occupational Therapy into Mental Health Practice with Children and Adolescents: Effective Strategies for RegulationPriceFrom $45.00 to $65.00Sold Out
- Non-RIMHCA Member$65.00
+$1.63 service fee+$1.63 service fee
- Current RIMHCA Member$45.00
+$1.13 service fee+$1.13 service fee
This event is sold out